Monday, February 25, 2008

Lipstick and lace.

I remember seeing commercials on television a couple years ago for the Lifetime movie titled Why I wore lipstick to my mastectomy (based on the book by the same title). I remember thinking that it was a clever title, and that I'd like to see the movie sometime.

This morning as I was getting ready for the day, I thought about the breast ultrasound I had scheduled for right after lunch. Instinctively, I reached for the cutest bra in my undies drawer.

I didn't think I was all that nervous, but when the radiologist came in and said that the lump looked benign to him, I sure felt a wave of relief.

I thought about that movie again this evening. I still want to see it (or better yet, read the book), but I definitely feel like I "get" the title. To me it's about being brave, and identifying with who I am as a woman. Finding a lump threatens to take that identity away from you, and it's important to reclaim it any way you can.

_________________________________________________



(Yes, this is a very personal topic - but I wanted to share it anyway. And I hope that the women reading will take this as a reminder to perform self breast exams!)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I read that book, and also thought it would make a good movie. I am glad to hear your results were benign!