Saturday, September 06, 2008

No glass ceilings being broken there...

Thus far I've managed to keep politics largely out of my blog, mostly because I understand that there are some issues that we as people will fundamentally disagree upon, and I'd rather not open that can of worms here.

That being said, I would like to address Governor Sarah Palin's comment suggesting that, "maybe that glass ceiling will be broken after all" in this years' presidential election.

American history was made this year when a woman, Senator Hillary Clinton, through hard work, dedication, and years of service to our country, made it almost all the way to the top of a presidential election - on her own platform, with her own vision and ideas for our country. This was monumental in our nation's history, whether you agree with Senator Clinton's views or not. This was monumental for women.

Recently, a woman was chosen for a vice presidential bid, in large part because she is a woman - that's exactly the opposite. That is not progress, that is more of the same - relegating a woman to a position or duty because she is a she. If the governor of Alaska had exactly the same limited resume as Palin, but was male, he would never have been considered as a vice-presidential candidate. Not selecting someone for a job based on race, color, creed, or sex is discrimination - but so is choosing someone for those same reasons. She's a pawn in the game, nothing more. I read an article the day Palin was announced as McCain's running mate, and there was a quote from a McCain aide that read, "Either we get Hillary's votes and we win, or we don't and we don't." They weren't even embarrassed to be using such a blatant tactic.

I'm disappointed that anyone in this country would assume that because a woman voter supported Hillary, she'll vote for anyone with breasts in Clinton's absence. That's a political strategy based on sexism - believing that women will think or act a certain way because they are female. I'm offended on behalf of all women. If you agree with the McCain/Palin platform; if you believe that they can provide the necessary leadership to bring our country out of the nosedive it's currently in; and if you are confident that Palin has the knowledge and skill and decency we would expect in a president (because, as you recall, the vice president has the solemn job of acting in the president's stead should it become necessary), then by all means cast your vote for their ticket.
But please don't vote for them simply because she's a woman.

3 comments:

wallabypie said...

Seriously! I read the same quote you mentioned about getting voters that would have otherwise voted for Clinton and my mouth dropped.
I think it's funny (and not in a "ha ha" kind of way) that the GOP ticket picked a woman - perhaps to offset the belief that McCain is just another W., while Obama picked a veep eighteen years his senior - perhaps to offset the belief that he is too young and inexperienced.

Also, interesting side note - the Republicans were here all week for the RNC, and do you know how you can tell them apart from ordinary citizens during convention week? They wear khaki slacks, white button-down shirts, and navy blazers with gold buttons.
ALL OF THEM.

Mary said...

how damn stupid do they think we are?
...oh yeh, misogynist jerks, they think we're REAL stupid!

Anonymous said...

Go Obama!