Monday, May 22, 2006

Update.

Hi.

Hiking yesterday was great. We saw a moose. It was exciting for me - I've seen large animals from vehicles before, but never while on foot.

We're having some serious runoff from the warm temperatures, so lots of local streams and rivers are flooding. The trail we took had probably a miles' worth of flooded areas. I'm not talking little puddles here and there, I'm talking about areas of flowing, fast moving water. Mostly spots where the trail was near the creek, and it spilled over into a second little stream. Muddy feet were inevitable. It was well worth it, though. The trail through Blodgett Canyon to the falls is about seven miles roundtrip, so it's a perfect afternoon hike. I'd like to pack in sometime - I've heard that about eight miles from the falls is a beautiful lake. It's only accessible on foot (or horseback, but that's feet too - just more of them), so you have to pack it in overnight. Luis and I have been contemplating making the initial investment for some backpacking gear. It's a little bit of a money commitment, but I think it'd be well worth it.

Luis got back from Seattle last night. He rode in the Tour de Cure on Saturday - he did the 100 mile ride. He's amazing! And... he brought me a burrito from Chipotle! He had a little cooler, and had the burrito snugly packed on ice, much the way one might transport a vital organ or other priceless perishable item.
My boyfriend is awesome.

It's thundering out. I love thunderstorms.
I have a quiz tomorrow in pathophysiology. How is that possible? We've had two lectures. Poo. My neck and shoulders are sunburned. Not as raw as it was yesterday, but it still twinges a bit. I've been alternating between "treatments" - a tea-soaked handtowel, and aloe vera lotion. Taking a vinegar bath is good too. I did that yesterday.

Hm. I don't appear to have anything very interesting to say. So I think instead I'll crank Moby up on my ipod and go watch the storm.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Mandi,

You can save a ton of money by shopping for gear online at some place like REI-Outlet, Campmor, or Sierra Trading Post. (Just google'em) If you get concerned about fit you can often try items on at your local outfitters store, then go buy it for less online.

I think that we'll finally be able to take Izzy on some short outings this Fall. We plan to start with some car camping then transition to some short 2-3 mile overnights.