Thursday, December 21, 2006

Flattery will get you everywhere.

A few months ago I got a fan letter. A very nice guy wrote me a random email - an endeavor which could have easily come off as stalker-esque, but instead was well penned, witty and quite friendly. I was flattered (giggled and blushed intermittently all afternoon), and I even printed it off. Here's a few bits:

Towards the end of the day at work today I was feeling particularly unmotivated so I thought I'd poke around and see what other people were writing about. I started clicking the "Next Blog" button...

Eventually I landed on your blog, and spent a decent amount of time reading it. By decent amount of time I mean start to finish. Not in one setting mind you, I'm kind of a slow reader, but in one day at least. Does that speak poorly of me that that's how I spent a decent portion of my Friday?

Anyhow, it kind of hooked me, and I may have a slight cyber-crush on your blog. Any girl who's down with Jason Lee, quotes Clerks the cartoon, uses the word "Huzzah", digs Journey, and wears nerdy glasses is okay in my book...

Mostly just wanted to say thanks for sharing. I really appreciate it...Good luck, thanks again, and I'll be reading if you keep writing.


He went on to invite me to his blog for a look, warning that "his blogging skills weren't quite on par with mine" (which is an absurd claim, really - he's a great writer). I hopped over to his blog, which I found to be a cleverly-written, laugh-out-loud synopsis of his misadventures with the fairer sex. I promptly added him to the links list on my page, hoping that others will find their way to this delightfully funny read. (Probably not many others, mind you - I only have about two dozen readers. But anything I can do to help...)

Anyhow, we exchanged online pleasantries via email, and I became quite sure that if we lived in the same part of the country, we most certainly would have been friends.

I was psyched that someone was enjoying the maundering ramblings that I call a blog. I was more than content with the kudos I'd received from my new friend and reader. But last week he went one step further, writing a blog in which he listed five things on the internet that you should be reading (instead of his stuff). And he put me on his list. I'm pretty sure that me and my little blog don't deserve that kind of praise, but we're flattered and honored all the same.

So here's my thank you, and a shout out to a guy who makes me laugh every day. Thanks, Jesse. You keep writing, and I'll be reading too.

2 comments:

Mr Atrocity said...

OK, I buy the ad, I'm subscribed.

Speaking of which I was wondering how you knew that you have only a couple of dozen readers? I subscribe to your blog via RSS and read it in my news aggregator, so unless I stop by to leave a comment I never actually hit your site directly. You may have more readers than you think if your counting method doesn't keep records of requests to your RSS feed too. Just thought I'd ask.

Have a fabulous holiday by the way.

Mandi said...

Mr. A -
You're quite right, the counter I use doesn't tally in RSS feeds. Mostly I count visitors by ticking off on my fingers the few friends, family members, and online buddies who I know for a fact frequent my site. :)