Tuesday, December 19, 2006

Hello from the Sunflower state...

I'm safely arrived back in Kansas. Today I went for a nice outdoor run - it's in the 40's here! Heatwave!

Tonight I went to Best Buy with my mom and brother. In the short time we were there I had chance meetings with three old friends. That's both what I miss the most and why I was ready to leave - I know twenty-three years' worth of people in Topeka. It's not a small town, but it sure feels like it. When I come back to visit, it's wonderful to unexpectedly bump into people. But when I was living here, sometimes I just wanted to escape - not the people so much, but the history. Every street has a story, every store and park and coffee shop has a memory attached. Most of my memories from here are fond ones, and I never felt as though I had anything to run or hide from - it was just time for a change. I think I've been able to grow more as a person by being in a new place. It's easier to move forward when you're not trapped in the past.

That said, I always get a kick out of coming back. It's bizarre being a tourist someplace so familiar.

No comments: