Tuesday, November 13, 2007

On weddings.

I bought a wedding gown yesterday. I don't have a caterer, an officiant, a photographer, linens, invitations or musicians; but I've got a dress. And twelve vases with which to make centerpieces.

Perhaps some women have a better knack for this than I do.

I have to admit, though - it's kinda fun. :)

I'm really happy with the gown I chose - it's lovely, without being too "much." (There are some seriously over the top dresses out there.) I got a kick out of trying them on, but the giant poufs really didn't feel like me.
With each gown I put on, the bridal consultant would ask me, "Can you see yourself getting married in this dress?" Each time I thought, "sure, why not?" I used to mentally pick out wedding colors or bridesmaid gowns (after having been a bridesmaid four times, I'm good at that part), but I guess I never thought much about what I'd wear. I've given more thought to being married than getting married, which is probably a good thing. Either way, I've got a dress now, so hopefully there will be no nightmares about being starkers on stage on my wedding day.

The bridal consultant talked me into trying on a veil, and when she tucked it into my hair I was thrown into one of those intensely vivid memories - you know, the kind where you feel exactly like you did way back when. As a little girl, I used to tuck a long curtain sheer into my pink plastic headband and turn it into a beautiful veil. Standing there in the boutique, I could smell that dusty old curtain. I could see my lavender toy chest and my fat black and white cat sprawled in the windowsill above it. I don't plan to wear a veil on my wedding day, but I'm glad I had that moment. I've been going into bridal shops and doing the wedding thing, and often I felt a little out of place. I'm twenty-eight years old, and admittedly, perhaps just a smidge cynical.
But at that moment, standing there in a silly veil, I was a hopeful little girl.

And I'm getting married in nine months.

2 comments:

Patia said...

Aww, lucky girl. Congratulations!

Mr Atrocity said...

The trick to knowing whether your dress is too over the top is to ask "Could it get mistaken for the cake?" If the answer to that is "yes" then you may want to reconsider the dress.