Tomorrow I take the NCLEX-RN (stands for the National Council Licensure Examination for Registered Nurses). This is the exam that proves my competency to practice as a registered nurse, and upon passing I will receive my license to be a nurse in the great state of Montana.
It would be much easier if I could just promise the state board that I'm safe and competent, but that doesn't appear to fly. Instead, I'll drive to Helena, get fingerprinted and frisked, and go in to sit the exam. I have six hours to complete it, and I will answer somewhere between 75 and 265 questions. It's a computer adaptive test, so it bases the question selection on how I've answered previous questions.
I don't get much test anxiety, but I'm nervous for this one. For the past few weeks I've reviewed and answered practice questions for anywhere from ten minutes to an hour, most days of the week, but right at the moment it's not feeling like enough. I have friends who studied by just taking practice questions, and other friends who reviewed for hours a day, several weeks. So far, everyone from my class has passed. At first that was reassuring, but then a new thought occurred to me - what if I become the only flunkie of the bunch?
On the bright side, for $10 I can see my test results online the next day. It used to be that you had to wait for a letter, and it took a couple of weeks to get your results.
I booked myself a nice hotel in Helena for tonight - my test is at 8:00 in the morning, so I need to stay in town the night before. I found one with a workout center and a hot tub - two ways I loooove to relax. My current plan is hard workout, hot tub, dinner, wine, sleep, pass exam.
Any number of variations on the plan are acceptable, so long as they include that last step.
In a few minutes I'll pack my bags and hit the road. Wish me luck!
2 comments:
Good Luck! I love you!
Good luck kid!
Post a Comment