Sunday, August 02, 2009

Two part time worlds.

My new job is in another town. As such, I took a little apartment there - it's almost an hour and a half drive each way, and there is no way I could manage that with twelve hour shifts. I enjoy the job and I love the town where I'm staying, but having two "homes" has cleaved my life into two separate worlds.

When I leave for work I am pretty much cut off from the world at large. I don't have internet or television at my other place. No need, really - after I get off work at six o'clock I usually go home, eat, drink a glass of wine, do some yoga, and then it's bedtime. I am reluctant to add distractions, because being a new nurse is already stressful - add that to the unique environment where I practice, and well, I need to be alert. I try to protect my sleep time so that I can function safely and also not burn out too quickly. I'm lucky that after a long day I get to come home to a cute little apartment with no responsibilities, and just relax. It's a nice way to work.

When I come home at the end of my work week (which is either three or four days... awesome) it's a little strange. It feels like my life at home chugs along without me, and I just get to pop in sometimes. I've only been doing this a few months, so I'm sure I'll get used to it, but for now the experience is surreal.

No comments: