Wednesday, November 08, 2006

A good day.

This afternoon my health assessment class covered pediatric examinations. As such, several of my classmates brought their children in to be our guinea pigs. It was fun to rub little bellies and check reflexes and do fun developmental screening tasks. Assessments focused on health rather than illness are a pleasant change of pace. And it was especially fun to hold all the babies...

I had clinicals again this evening. Over the past few weeks I've really started to enjoy my time at the nursing home. It's a great feeling knowing that you've been a bright spot in someone's day. Two little old ladies kissed me and told me they love me. I love that ten minutes of my time spent talking to an elderly woman who is a little lonely can make her day better.
I firmly believe that if more people in our society spent time in situations like these, the world would be a better place. Interactions with others - and especially those that cut through factors like age, ability, socioeconomic status - really get to the core of who we are as people. Get away from your creature comforts and spend some time with those in need. Financial need, social need, physical need - doesn't matter. I have enough opinions on some of these topics to write for hours (perhaps soon I will, just not tonight) - but I believe that the inordinate amount of stuff accumulated by most people is a sad attempt to fill a void that could be healed by more of these kinds interactions. New powerbooks and cars and furniture and ipods are nice, but they can't hold a candle to the human spirit. Every week I come home from this slow, sedate place, a place laden with the gradual deceleration of life, and I remember that I'm healthy. I'm whole. I have a warm bed and food to eat. I have a caring and thoughtful family, and a boyfriend who hugs and kisses me every day. My life is amazing. And with it I have the incredible ability to do good things. It's an awesome thought...

Tomorrow I have a hair appointment. I'm pretty excited - I'm feeling ready for a change. Perhaps I'll make it an all-girly day and give myself a pedicure too. Oh, and if only I had the money to work in a little shoe shopping - well, maybe I'll try some on, just for good measure. : )

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

The advice you give in this blog will exact at Least as much change in our world as being an educated voter.(reference to previous blog) Maybe even more. There is really no way to measure the far reaching effects of making a difference to another person on the level you speak of. I tend to believe we'd all be very surprised if we knew. ps. I'm so proud of you.

pps yes maam, at least try on some shoes. That can be as much fun as buying. ;)