It's difficult trying to find work as a new graduate nurse. Granted, I've only been looking for 2.5 business days, but still. Most places want experienced nurses, but I can't become an experienced nurse without a nursing job. And round and round the cycle goes...
Honestly, I understand the hesitancy in hiring new graduates. A new employee for any company is a huge investment, and a new nurse even more so - it takes a loooooong time to orient a brand new nurse. After four difficult years in a highly respected baccalaureate program, the typical graduate nurse is perfectly prepared - to learn how to be a nurse. We have a great base of knowledge, but there is still much to learn. It makes sense that facilities will have to integrate new nurses in over time, and I'm sure I'll find work fairly soon.
It's strange being without a daily occupation. I've been both an employee and a full time student for the past four and a half years, and now suddenly my world is devoid of any real obligation, save for making student loan payments and exchanging carbon dioxide for oxygen. It's sort of surreal.
"Enjoy it," people keep telling me. Yeah - it was enjoyable for about four days. After that I started getting this nagging "do something" feeling, though the nagging didn't translate into any real accomplishment. I should be working out at the gym, studying for the NCLEX, and packing all of my worldly belongings, but instead I just watch mass quantities of HGTV and dream of buying furniture.
Clearly, I'm in some sort of post-degree freefall.
No comments:
Post a Comment