Monday, January 12, 2009

Online job search - now with faster rejection.

I don't like this era of internet-aided job applications. Job hunting has never been high on my list of things I enjoy, but I definitely liked the old way better. Get all dressed up, have resumés and cover letters printed on fancy paper, then go use your people skills to secure an interview. Now you roll out of bed, step into your fluffy house slippers, grab a Clif bar and a cup of coffee, and sit down to the computer. You fill out an extensive application online, then copy the text of your carefully formatted resumé and paste it into a text only window. I feel like I represent myself fairly well in print, but I miss the humanness of the old way.

As a new graduate nurse, I am on the hunt for a nursing position (the snag in this plan will be elaborated on in my next post). I like the idea of starting in a hospital, and being in Missoula this gives me two options for employment. I spent Friday morning rewriting my resumé (to reflect the fact that I now want to be a nurse as opposed to a receptionist, the only thing for which my old resumé clearly qualified me). I then signed up for Jobline accounts with each of the local hospitals and proceeded to fill out an online application for each facility. This morning, while reviewing the positions available at one of them, I came across a position in the cardiac cath lab. It said experience preferred, but it also said that it was a training bid, which my brain translated into "maybe they'll take a new grad." I logged in and applied my application to that position this morning at about 10:30. I got home from running errands about 2:45, and already waiting for me was an emailed response, letting me know that I don't have the experience they are looking for, but thanks anyway.
Applied at brunch, shot down before teatime.

Thanks, internets.

1 comment:

Mr Atrocity said...

I have a boxfile containing all my rejection letters from years back. And those were the ones who bothered to write to reject me; about 80% of the resumés and showreels I sent out were met with silence. I really understood what "screaming into the wind" meant after that! I'm sure it will all work out for you shortly.