Today was a beautiful autumn day.
I love the fall. I think it's my favorite season. That may be from a lifetime of being a student - fall brings new classes and textbooks, football games and marching bands. I love it all. Sweaters and crisp sunny days, and fallen leaves to kick up as I walk.
Western Montana got it's first dusting of snow on Saturday - all the mountaintops are shimmering white again.
For some reason fall always brings out my domestic side. (Luis may argue that I don't have a domestic side, but you'll have to ignore him. I cook more than he does, even if that isn't saying a whole lot...) Yesterday I made a big pot of chili, and I've got some super-ripe bananas ready to go into a loaf of banana nut bread tomorrow. I hate to brag, but I make amazing banana bread. And snickerdoodles. And... that's about the extent of my expertise. I'm passable at everything else, except whole poultry. They frighten me. I've made turkey twice. The second time was good - the first time was a fiasco I'd rather forget.
Speaking of food and fall - one of my favorite snacks is a microwave apple crisp. (Thanks to Patt for getting me started on this - she made it for breakfast while Luis and I were visiting!) Here's the original recipe I downloaded:
Ingredients:
1 Tbsp butter
2 Tbsp dark brown sugar
2 Tbsp quick-cooking oats
1 Tbsp flour
1/8 tsp ground cinnamon
1 apple, peeled and sliced
Place butter in microwave safe container and heat until softened. Stir in sugar, oats, flour and cinnamon; set aside. Place apple slices in small microwave-safe bowl. Sprinkle oat mixture over apple. Microwave, uncovered, on 2-3 minutes or until apple is tender.
I make a few adjustments for calorie content - I use light margarine, and a teaspoon of brown sugar combined with a packet of Splenda. I use maybe a teaspoon of flour, and two to three tablespoons of oats. Perfect for a rainy day snack!
2 comments:
What's a "T"? I'm guessing tablespoon; was I close?
Right you are! I should update that to the more uniform "Tbsp" and "tsp"...
Post a Comment