Tuesday, March 20, 2007

Quick note.

Spring break came and went in a blink. I didn't do much - and it was nice. I'm sad that I didn't post anything the whole week. I have a lot of things I'd like to write about, but it'll have to wait until school isn't demanding so much of my time.

Yesterday began a long stretch of craziness in my schedule. I'm back in clinical rotations for the next two weeks, which is time consuming and comes with scores of paperwork to turn in afterward. I've also got a case study and a paper due next Monday, and I work all weekend. Ick. Tomorrow I'll present a short health talk at a local facility for disabled persons. I'm looking forward to it - my partner Dan and I put together some fun things to use as teaching aids. I haven't spent much time working with the mentally disabled population, and figuring out how to tailor our talk to the specific learning needs of the group was a unique challenge. Many of them can't read well, or have very limited attention spans, so we were told to use pictures and objects and games to do our teaching. It'll be fun, I think. I hope they think so too.

In May, Luis and I are going to Spain for two weeks! I'm very excited. We're going with his father Rafael and his wife, and we'll be staying with some of Luis' family part of the time. Luis speaks Spanish fairly well, so he's been listening to a podcast called Notes in Spanish to get used to hearing it spoken again. I, on the other hand, understand a handful of words and phrases but don't really speak Spanish at all. Unfortunately I don't have time during school to try and learn, but I do want to be able to at least greet and thank people, and perhaps make some simple conversation. I've started listening to a podcast called Coffee Break Spanish which is beginning Spanish in very small bits. It's especially fun, because the hosts of Coffee Break Spanish are Scottish, so even the English is cool to listen to. These programs both teach mainland Spanish, and it's pretty different from the Mexican Spanish spoken here in the states.

Well, I have to start getting ready to head back to the hospital. Woo!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

hanks for the podcast links! I'm going to Spain myself in June to speak at a conference. I've got a translator for the speech, but like you, I want to at least be able to say come common phrases well. And all the Spanish I do know is Mexican-style, not Spainsh-style.