Sunday, October 29, 2006

It's just a jump to the left,

And then a step to the ri-i-i-i-i-ight...

Halloween is one of my favorite holidays, and with it comes all the creepy delights of the season. Earlier this evening I watched The Rocky Horror Picture Show for what has to be the umpteenth time, and it just keeps getting better... Tim Curry is strangely attractive in a corset.

Last night I went to the Halloween Bash at the Green Room/Red Light Lounge downtown. It was a good time - some drinks, lots of dancing, and I met some fun people. Photos from the evening can be seen here (although I only took a few.)
I dressed as Dorothy again this year, mostly so I could get another wearing out of my fabulous ruby slippers. Last year I rented a really authentic Dorothy costume, but this year it wasn't available, so I bought one from a Halloween shop. This brings me to my one beef with Halloween: why is every ladies' costume made as the "sexy" version? Can't be just a policewoman, has to be a sexy policewoman. Sexy pirate. Sexy witch. And the costumes which are somewhat provocative by default - cheerleader, nurse, schoolgirl, french maid - are tramped out to the max. They've even managed to turn Rainbow Brite into a whore. My friend Sammy said to me the other day that one year she decided just to go as a prostitute, because really, most girls' costumes boil down to that anyway. I understand that a lot of people enjoy dressing a little more risque than they would in their normal life, but it's bordering on ridiculous. For me, I guess, the fun is mostly in getting to be someone else for a little while. (I suppose I'm sort of the pot calling the kettle black, because this year I caved and bought the sexy Dorothy costume - although I have to say that it's hard to feel very seductive while wearing gigantic puffy sleeves roughly the shape and size of chefs' hats...) Anyhow, I love costumes and dressing up, so I'm hoping to find another excuse to don a costume before the 31st.

Poo. On an unrelated note, I just checked the weather forecast. Tonight - snow. Tomorrow - snow. Tomorrow night - low of 18. Burrr.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

It's quite the odd trend, the skankifying of all costumes.

I was batman this year(Blog coming soon), and as I searched for costumes I was surprised to find "Adult Batgirl Secret Wishes".

What the hell is "Secret Wishes"? I always figured Batgirl's secret wish was to defeat the Joker. Aren't there enough sexy costumes in the Batman genre that we don't need a lingerie spin off?

Not that I mind all that much anyhow. I am a guy after all. It does seem to be getting a bit out of hand though. Soon you'll be able to order a "Mother Theresa Secret Wishes" costume, and at that point haven't we gone too far?