I'm ashamed to admit that one evening of dancing (albeit very enthusiastic dancing) has left me with sore quads. I'm a runner, for chrissake! Yes, I had on heels, and yes, I'd had enough drinks to lead me to believe that I should dip clear down to the floor, but no matter! Self punishment for poor physical condition will ensue tomorrow...
Diet Pepsi makes my world sparkle. I'll admit it - I'm a full-on addict. You know you've got a problem when you're visiting multiple convenience stores daily, so as to downplay the amount of soda purchased. I had cut waaay back for a few weeks, but once again I'm consuming more bubbles and aspartame than can possibly be good for one medium-sized human. Must work on this as well.
Since this post has turned into a parade of dirty laundry, I might as well out with this one as well: I love "tweenage" movies. Especially anything with Anne Hathaway in it. Yesterday I watched Ella Enchanted, and I've seen both of the Princess Diaries several times. Freaky Friday? Love it. What a Girl Wants? Sigh. Oh, wait - Colin Firth is in that last one. Better make it a *double* sigh...
It's unfortunate that alcohol leads us to believe we're much funnier than we actually are. It is fortunate, however, that it also compels others to laugh at our jokes.
I was reading through random profiles on myspace the other day, which is always a good waste of time. Most profiles include a response to the question, "who would you like to meet?" The funniest response I saw was from a wholesome midwestern gal about my age, although I'm pretty sure she wasn't joking. Her answer? Jesus and Oprah. OH!... Oh, I love it! (wipes tears of laughter from eyes) I don't have a problem with Oprah, nor Jesus, but somehow the combination of the two... oh, wow.
My mom always said, "Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice, shame on me." Yep, I must say I agree.
I've always thought I was relatively bright. Not a genius, by any means, but pretty smart. Somewhere above average. But for some reason (or perhaps that reason), I tend to keep company with some insanely intelligent people. The conversation is always good, but once in a while I wind up feeling like a kid sitting at the grownup's table (often times while reading said smart people's writings). I don't understand how these people retain all the information they do. I've probably taken many of the same college courses, and even read some of the same books, but somehow I've failed to keep hold of much of the knowledge. Drives me crazy, and worse than that, it starts me questioning myself. Am I just a big dummy with a lofty self-image? I never thought so. I hope not. On the other hand, not knowing something usually triggers an information quest for me, in which I research the hell out of something until I understand it, so perhaps feeling dumb on occasion is a good thing. Mrs. Muelenberg, my gifted teacher in grade school (sort of worthless program, by the way) had a mantra: "Being smart is knowing where to find the answers." If she was right, then maybe I'm a little bit smart after all.
The saying, "why buy the cow, when you can get the milk for free?" has been used for years. But recently, females have discovered that "there's no need to buy a whole pig in order to get a little sausage." (teehee, I love that joke.)
Okay, if you're still reading, STOP! (Although I appreciate your attentiveness.) Seriously, this much random information can't be healthy for anyone. I'm going to stop writing and start homework now. Ta-ta!
3 comments:
I've recently realized that many of my "smarter" friends are selling the same BS that comes out of my mouth, they just do it with more confidence.
One of my friends likes to make things up and see how many people at the table he can get to nod their head in agreement. Its quite sad really because he has the confidence to pull it off.
Shocking, my comment has gotten long winded... All I'm trying to say is even the smart ones aren't always all that smart.
At least with the written word you can (and should) cite your sources. I'm always more suspicious of what I'm told in verbal discussion because of that. Conversely of course discussion on matters which don't rely on great slabs of evidence are often more effectively done vocally where participants can quickly act and react to one another.
Horses for courses I suppose.
And Jesse is right, confidence plays a big part in making a convincing argument, whether it actually has merit or not. Look at any decent salesperson.
A serious bunch, this. How about just making up words and using them in conversation? See how many people pretend to know what they are. I love imagining them running back to their office or computer to check a dictionary. But then, I'm bad.
Neena
Post a Comment