Monday, June 26, 2006

On smiling: an elucidation.

Twice recently I've had comments about made about my smile. Last week a friend pointed out that I never show teeth when I smile for photos, and a couple of days ago I got an email from an old friend who thought I looked "nonchalant" in some recent pictures he'd seen. I certainly wasn't feeling nonchalant on the occasion at which the photos were taken; rather, I think probably it was at least in part related to my sealed-up smile. I got curious and started flipping through my photos, and sure enough, I almost never show any pearlies! Here's the best I can figure as to why...

  • I don't like my teeth. Never have. They aren't awful, but they are a little crooked, and I have a couple of little chips in the front. I used to be very self conscious about it, and I guess I just trained myself not to show them.
  • I have a slightly bigger pout than some (not of Angelina proportions or anything, but still a decent sized pucker). Perhaps my teeth just can't get out from behind the curtain.
  • I generally feel like an idiot when I grin.

I will make an effort to smile with a little white showing, because it probably wouldn't kill me. But rest assured, I'm just as excited as you are, even if you can't see my teeth.

No comments: